Michaels 25mm WFB Stuff...

I did just try but can't get it when I use the font for my website/unit cards.
Then the font does not support Umlaute. You can use the AE option then.

I think bad German is part of GW tradition though?
Indeed. WFB 3e Armies:

• Temple Ritterbruden Tempelritterbrüder
  • Hohensknechtes Hohenknechte
  • Stadtsknechtes Stadtknechte
  • Armbrustschutzen Armbrustschützen
  • Hakbutschutzen Hakbutschützen
  • Ersatzsolder Ersatzsoldat
  • Landesturm Landsturm
  • Bergjaeger and Forstjaeger are actually right, using AE instead of ä
All viewed from modern day German, Altdeutsch might have had slight differences.

And of course, we must not forget, the language of the Empire is Reikspiel, not German (modern or old-fashioned), so what do I know... :lol:

ManicMan

AE always annoys me, cause often people mean the letter Æ (ash).. It's like when people think 'ye' as in 'ye olde' isn't pronouced 'The' (accent on the e) because they don't know what a thorn is (þ) which was changed to using a y because of writing styles and printing.. ^_^;

though alot of this is from the English language being from Germanic then German (so same root) as well as Latin and a few others. (I had a German friend who I don't get much contact with these days who hated if it I said German when I meant Germanic)

slightly related.. 'Dæmon' is pronounced 'Day-mon' not 'De-mon'.. people often get that wrong. but they are two different things.. a Dæmon is more of a half god spirit who can be helpful, a demon is atleasts 'a danger', at worse evil. though theses days, people use the words interchangeability.

^_^;

Thank you.

Going to start work on another Townscapes model to compliment the previous one I did.

Over on my forum I am talking through my plans and I want a sort of toll booth, Townscapes has one so I will recreate that rather than design one myself.

WIP of the Toll Booth, based on the Townscapes one.

tb0.png

lpy8n1rlu93fyh8b2g0zvy6a2b42l70a.jpg

cyq6n9du0k51glzcakji37jtaxpytj42.jpg

The bricks and tiles are done, I primed the roof then realised I had not added the mortar… Sigh.

1nfq9il2kppqubdtxzd8bmrmqqnavwbg.jpg

Finished my Toll Booth.

It sits on the north road from Heiligsheld, manned normally by 2 men from the Counts fortified manor.

88247ar8ryt8pwuo1rapusw3ssa3vy0u.PNG

05whmxoqok1529h410qrps5mp0i3nk7m.PNG

40iayuaeo9pf40388s32r2b2hpjjd17p.PNG

923y8kzjp07pbbjgwdveh55hqydgl6vy.png

Out the front on a bodged old sign are the blurred and worn toll fees, some less than generous road users say the signage is faded on purpose so the prices can be inflated.
As for the Toll Booth itself, whilst study with a single arrow slit to discourage people from trying to batter down the door, it is otherwise unremarkable.

Mostly the lads who are on duty linger about outside, hence the barrels.

On one barrel we see a bottle of cheap rotgut and the skull of the very first Toll Keeper, Jan Tresor. People say he drank and smoked so much that his mouth became rotten early on in life, but somehow even as a lowly toll keeper he managed to find the money to have gold teeth made to replace his own.
He was quite lucky like that, so the lads who are on duty keep his old bone box around as a good luck charm, hoping his fortune will rub off on them.

On the wall are some posters, one of which is of the famous fiddler, Anna-Sophia Muter.
She is a very accomplished musician, made more popular with bored toll keepers due to her tight clothing and bawdy songs.
The other posters are about codes of conduct for games keepers and road wardens by Herr Doctor Stillman, and the last a poster detailing the most recent hangings in the nearest town.

Below we see the brothers ‘Spider’ and Heff.
Once part of Martyn Hauer’s mercenary company but now in service to Count Halven.

yyme8t96snkfo3klsjndops1xot4bq9r.JPG

Mercury

Fantastic work on the building. Really reminds me of the terrain I'd see in old magazines. I'd be thrilled to see that come out onto a table if I was playing.

ManicMan

Unfortunately not! I'm all the way in sunny old Florida :lol:
But isn't one of the points of the Internet (atleast back in the 90s) is now everyone is Local to each other ^_^ damn, I'm old... I'm old enough to remember (though not quite to use or be rich enough) for time share mainframes, though I'm old enough to have played MUDs on Telnet...)

anyway, great work on the Toll hut ^_^ Been nice and lazy with a shut fast door? or tried to be smart with hinges? (one of these days, When I do more, I'm gonna try a working door..)

Geroak II

Looks brilliant, well done indeed! Love all the details you've put together and little backstories for posters, skull etc. Those details really make this piece feel so much more grounded and believable. I had to really zoom in too see and it looks like old Jan has one gold tooth left?
Also, Heff and Spider... as in Skavenslayer?

Looks brilliant, well done indeed! Love all the details you've put together and little backstories for posters, skull etc. Those details really make this piece feel so much more grounded and believable. I had to really zoom in too see and it looks like old Jan has one gold tooth left?
Also, Heff and Spider... as in Skavenslayer?

Yes!!
I have Gant too in my 'army'. Excellent spot, you will have to keep an eye out for other such nonsense from me.

Nice work on zooming in and seeing that remaining gold tooth.
I thought there was a whole lower jaw of gold teeth, but no-one seems to know anything about that, I must have dreamt it.

I like the details, it does as you say, make it more real.
I think I am a world builder first and gamer second.

But isn't one of the points of the Internet (atleast back in the 90s) is now everyone is Local to each other ^_^ damn, I'm old... I'm old enough to remember (though not quite to use or be rich enough) for time share mainframes, though I'm old enough to have played MUDs on Telnet...)

anyway, great work on the Toll hut ^_^ Been nice and lazy with a shut fast door? or tried to be smart with hinges? (one of these days, When I do more, I'm gonna try a working door..)

Cheers!
Lazy?
Why I oughta!!

Geroak II

I have Gant too in my 'army'. Excellent spot, you will have to keep an eye out for other such nonsense from me.
It's been a good long while since I last read Skavenslayer (and I've never read it in english) so only you mentioning they were brothers started to ring a bell. 100% off-topic but I liked Trollslayer a whole lot more than Skavenslayer. :)

I thought there was a whole lower jaw of gold teeth, but no-one seems to know anything about that, I must have dreamt it.
Well, we all know how things can blow out of proportion; As time passes and no one actually remembers what the truth is, in minds of poor toll keepers, who can just about afford rotgut to quench their thirst and make their job more bearable, one gold tooth can turn into princely fortune of full 24k smile. And so history becomes legend and legend becomes myth. ;)

I like the details, it does as you say, make it more real.
I think I am a world builder first and gamer second.
Yeah, this is absolutely something right down my alley too.

Back