Skaven

Geroak II

Excellent stuff. Though I base on rounds these days, there is something very special when square-based minis are put together as one unit, crammed shoulder to shoulder and actually looking like a unit. You've really done justice to these old minis.

dazza36

Thanks for comments.
Lovely unit. Got to admire anyone doing a horde army. Particularly one using OOP figures painted to that standard. More power to, and Ralgex for, your elbow.
Not sure if I can call my collection a horde yet but I'm getting there.

I never planned on turning this into an army as I didn't think I would ever get close to the sort of models needed . I tried years ago but costs and lack of actual models quickly put an end to it. However this time around not only have I found a much larger selection of models on the dreaded Ebay but also been able to get them for reasonable prices.

So today I spent an hour cleaning up the last of purchases. With these I'm now at the point where I need to start being a lot more selective with my buys just to fill in the gabs I have in the units.

skaven46.jpg

Heartening to hear you’re getting what you need on eBay at decent prices. Are you buying bulk lots? Everything I’m after seems to be individually listed at premium prices.

Fimm McCool

What a beautiful pile! There's real treasure there. I concur with Citizen Sade, all I see on eBay these days are individually sold pieces at twice their real value.

ManicMan

Soo true. There was a lot which a guy was asking £80 for and.. possible but really, £60 was what it was worth. I put in a couple of offers but refused.. So it rang out of time and he relisted it.. now for £100.. yep.. couldn't get £80, so put it up to £100.. complete idiot..

If you go for badly painted, you can often get some nice deals.. but there are too many of the 6Ed+ plastics sold as 'vintage oldhammer rare' ¬_¬ I heard some rumours GW might be backtracking on 'No official Skaven in Old World' and re-releasing some figures, but can't confirm and most likely modern stuff if so

dazza36

Up until now I've been able to buy several bulk buys as I need so many of all types, which I find works well from a financial point especially with how many sellers will bump up price with P&P and like ManicMan says going for painted models does seem to reduce the number of bidders. I'm now at the point where I need to either start buying individual models which we all know can mean silly prices or keep looking for bulk buys and then selling on models from them that I don't want.

It would be great if GW did re-release some especially the original Throt the unclean which is one of only a couple of figures I'm missing.

Just done a quick count and starting off with 5 models I'm now up to just over 100 in space of 5 months !

ManicMan

^_^ you are way too fast for me. I've pretty much only finished my stormvermin cause I'm 5 models short (kinda).

I get the feeling if they do reissue any older Skaven, nothing much earlier then Colin Dixon would be done. Not that there is anything wrong with some of Colin Dixon's work, but Jes Skaven are kinda the best ones ^_^ (also, I'm 3 figures short of the original 19 C47s now)

dazza36

^_^ you are way too fast for me. I've pretty much only finished my stormvermin cause I'm 5 models short (kinda).

I get the feeling if they do reissue any older Skaven, nothing much earlier then Colin Dixon would be done. Not that there is anything wrong with some of Colin Dixon's work, but Jes Skaven are kinda the best ones ^_^ (also, I'm 3 figures short of the original 19 C47s now)
What one's are you missing ? Its no guarantee but may have spares

ManicMan

thanks ^_^ didn't expect it or anything cause, yeah, probebly ones I'm missing aren't the most common around.. The odd one I have seen is the £12.99 per figure mark which.. erm.. not really gonna pay that without a damn good reason.

dazza36

So finally managed to complete my next unit. A little bit smaller than the Stormvermin but Jezzails are just an iconic skaven unit in my eyes and the pointing version is for me one of the must memorable models from the golden age of warhammer. Carried on the tradition of painting the 2 models in matching clothes.

skaven47.jpg

skaven48.jpg

The completed unit
skaven49.jpg

ManicMan

Ugh.. I still got a mostly painted Jezzail team that needs to be finished but just sits there.. this work out really well ^_^ and not the newer models I really don't like with the oversized Jezzail's (I think Colin Dixon ones)

Fimm McCool

Very tasty. Lovely work on the patterning there. I agree with MM, the slender jezzails look a lot less 'silly' than the chunky ones, but the chunky ones were available when I got my skaven so that's what I have. These guys look wonderful.

Back