Marauder Giant apparently makes a return

Gosh dwarves next. Not bugman's then? I guess phew, my copy of bugmans complete with the "three mini's per base" bases can still fund my retirement via ebay then! Although retirement will take a hit with the purchase of some Dwarves I don't need I expect!

Still waiting on my Giant's new barrel alas, not that I've exactly got nothing to paint, ahem.
Bugman's Cart is available and with new rules...

that's certainly tempting.
The Marauder Dwarf pikemen aren't Made to Order and command pack is $47 for 4 figures and the pikemen are 5 to a pack for $52. I'm assuming when Ulther's comes out it'll be priced the same. The problem is, in order to crackdown on scalpers, GW has limited purchases to one of each per order.:roll: I get the impression that multiple orders will also be cancelled, as they'll again assume you're a scalper. I was hoping maybe $150 for 20 figures, but at these prices are about on par with eBay regiment sales.

ManicMan

well.. the pricing for the return of the giant was good, yet some of them newer ones are.. less good... not crap but less good..

I wish they would index their shop better so you can see which models are re-issues etc.. looking through them and trying to see which ones you recognises is annoying, though not a great range of re-issues of stuff I'm interested in at the moment..

EricF

Administrator
The pikemen are a fortune at £6.30 each. I kept looking at the description thinking "now how many do I actually get" before accepting it was just the five. I shall have to pass on them I think and I can't imagine the prince's being any cheaper, although the slayers are £4.30 each.

Still pondering a cart, I mean it's a better price than you'll find on ebay, but a little more than I want to pay.

And yes I'm still not sold on the "new" site as being better...

well.. the pricing for the return of the giant was good, yet some of them newer ones are.. less good... not crap but less good..

I wish they would index their shop better so you can see which models are re-issues etc.. looking through them and trying to see which ones you recognises is annoying, though not a great range of re-issues of stuff I'm interested in at the moment..
I probably should've purchased one more Marauder giant, but I've plenty of assembled ones in my boxes of shame: several 6th Ed. metal ones purchased for $20 something back in the day off eBay, before people realized these were gold - $81 on the GW site ATM. I have several WotC Chainmail metal Hill Giants purchased for $9.99-$19.99 from school textbook site - counted as a book, due to an ISBN!

Geroak II

Slayers seem to be mixed from various eras and include both Citadel and Marauder sculpts which seems curious. I´d guess this is on purpose and not because some of the molds were not in good shape but who knows.

Surprisingly giant was not that badly priced but these imperial dwarfs on the other hand, oh boy. They're really charging 41€ for 5 dwarf miniatures?

For anyone not too fussed about them not being from GW and wanting to make regiment(s) of imperial dwarfs or bolstering the back ranks with non-official miniatures, The Assault Group has a wide selection of suitable miniatures in their Dwarf Empire range, some with weapon options to make them armed with spears, halberds, crossbows etc. For example, 4 dwarfs with spears cost £11.95 which seems alright.

Their photography of products could use some improving, but I mean just look at these; there's a dwarf with two-handed sword sculpted as homage to one of the marauder ogres. Delightful!

dem025.jpg

ManicMan

not really odd that is is both Citadel and Marauder. the Morrisons (Aly and Trish) were working at Citadel as designers when they created Marauder in about 1988 and was kinda working as a sub studio (like when a company have various departments). All the stuff they made was made for GW/Citadel and within a couple of years (1993/1994), the models were just sold as citadel, often with rebranded tabs. The Marauder Giant is the Giant made by Marauder.. In the same way the old Citadel Giant is the Citadel made model (heh.. lets see Citadel re-issue that monster for a decent price.. 5 different heads. twice the size of the Marauder model).

Oh and that photo... I'm debating if it's them laying on a black background or just placed on a scanner

Geroak II

From what I've read, Marauder were a company of their own and GW was caster and distriputer of their minis, until later on their ranges were merged with Citadel and Marauder Miniatures ceased to exist. Could be misremembering this or have read something that wasn't quite true, though.

In any case, I thought it might have made more sense (from customers' perspective, propably not from GW's!) to have Marauder slayers sold in separate regiment and later Citadel ones on their own.

No idea about that photo/scan except that it's not great. :roll:

From what I've read, Marauder were a company of their own and GW was caster and distriputer of their minis, until later on their ranges were merged with Citadel and Marauder Miniatures ceased to exist. Could be misremembering this or have read something that wasn't quite true, though.

In any case, I thought it might have made more sense (from customers' perspective, propably not from GW's!) to have Marauder slayers sold in separate regiment and later Citadel ones on their own.

No idea about that photo/scan except that it's not great. :roll:

This book I think lays some of this out;

At 490 pages it is a tomb, but also expensive in itself.

Boris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fimm McCool

The recent Filmdeg video interview with Trish Carden also goes into it. Although Marauder were technically separate they used the same offices, moulding, casting and sales teams that Citadel did. When the decision was made to bring Marauder back in house the Morrisons really had no say in it, they couldn't have carried on without the support of Games Workshop. Marauder were largely doing fantasy at a time when the studio was cranking out 40k so they really defined the look of the Warhammer world. It made total sense to incorporate their most popular models into the main ranges when they merged back in.

Geroak II

Thanks for clarifying that, Fimm. I think one (and perhaps only) place where I had read about Marauder's history must have been SoL.
Propably it was this bit that made me think they were more independent than they actually were:
Their miniatures were cast and distributed by Citadel alongside the normal Citadel ranges, although at one time they were using the Wargames Foundry facilities.
But it makes sense that was some exception to norm and GW were ultimately holding the reins of Marauder.

Geroak II

Any idea when the "Made to Order" stuff will be released?

Has something else other than Ulther and his gang been revealed to return as made to order?
Here it says: "Prince Ulther and his Dragon Company will be available to order on a Made to Order basis on the day of release."
Miniatures currently on pre-order have this: "Pre-orders ship on or after launch day 03/08/2024"

edit. Oh, yeah, quite a few other minis are coming as made to order actually. No idea of release date for those.

ManicMan

They started a few months ago with the limited made-to-order stuff with the Marauder Giant, Orc Shaman on Wyvern, Stone Trolls etc, some seam to be in production for longer then others. They are crap at really giving much information on other stuff but I think some new stuff has already been released like Dwarfs etc.

EricF

Administrator
A friend of mine said it was typically ~2 weeks after the pre-orders, ie when the pre-orders become orders!

Anything close to £5.00 for a figure produced today seems fair.
We can no longer expect 50p figures from GW.
Though companies that make figures on the side to their normal day to day job do not help set realistic expectations.
Such companies can often subsidise the production of models with their regular job wages.
They often do not have to worry themselves with the range even making a profit, let alone enough money to pay the mortgage, bills etc.

Whilst we live in an age of amazing choice as wargamers, we must not lose sight that not all these companies are set up as sole sources of income, and we should not view their prices as the norm.

A company that pays for sculpting, moulding, casting, packaging, design, and pays its owner/staff a living wage etc from the profits it makes from sales is not that common.

So many are only in the business of wargames as their proper job pays for it.

I think £6.00 is pretty fair for a company that is a not an on the side business.

And yes I'm still not sold on the "new" site as being better...

Tech people do insist on chnage and new features for the sake of it..
Sigh.

YMMV

Last edited:
THOUGH... Since GW started charging more for models that have the same production costs as other ones simply because their game stats are better, that does not make them a balanced/fair company in terms of pricing.

Back