Orc Dreadnought

summerone

Vassal
This orc dreadnought is going to be my Orctober project. It is a conversion of a Space Crusade dreadnought, based on a picture of the orc dreadnought created by José Antonio Romero that I had half remembered seeing some 30 years ago (many thanks to @orkwrangler for finding the picture and @ManicMan for confirming this was the one I was thinking of!). There will be a dismembered space marine on the ground reaching for its gun, with a snotling standing triumphant with one foot on it - these are the pieces in the third picture, along with the dreadnought arms and one tooth.
DSCN2256.JPGDSCN2257.JPGDSCN2258.JPG
 
I've pretty much finished painting the snotling. I will have a bit to do once it's glued to the base, but probably only a very small amount of work left here:
DSCN2267.JPG
I'm roughly half way through painting the marine and his leg. Main block colour and highlights are done, just fine details I'm working on now. Will have a bit more to do to this one once it's on the base, as going to need to add a large amount of blood:
DSCN2268.JPG
I've also finished blocking in the base metallic and armour panel colours on the dreadnought. It won't be brown, this is just the shade colour I'm going to build up from. I'm a bit worried about having to keep going over my freehand on the head of the dreadnought in progressively lighter colours, so I guess we'll have to see how that goes:
DSCN2266.JPG
 
Frist, some great stuff there. The gobbo is coming out lovely, and I quite like your orky conversion and the mangled marine corpse. Brilliant stuff, all around!

Also, the bits and pieces in the background look like they'll be great soon too. Is that a QT Banshee/Citadel Stalwart I'm seeing? Very fuzzy, so maybe it's just a random bob of similarish size.

Anyway, looking forward to more. :-)
 
d post someFrist, some great stuff there. The gobbo is coming out lovely, and I quite like your orky conversion and the mangled marine corpse. Brilliant stuff, all around!

Also, the bits and pieces in the background look like they'll be great soon too. Is that a QT Banshee/Citadel Stalwart I'm seeing? Very fuzzy, so maybe it's just a random bob of similarish size.

Anyway, looking forward to more. :-)
I'll get a bit more done on them and post some pictures soon!

The dreadnought gun arm is a couple of Space Crusade dreadnought guns cut up and stuck together, with a few added bolts for good measure and the barrel drilled out. The grabber arm has parts from a metal ork with a grabber tool I'm pretty sure was from Gorkamorka, some bits from a Gorkamorka truck, part of a titan and some more bits from a Space Crusade Dreadnought gun.

The marine's pistol is one of the original plastic marine guns in a holster that I have carved a barrel from and added a trigger to. I always thought the original pistols looked just a bit too much like water pistols so wanted it to look a bit bigger, but wanted to still use a small gun (lost the main weapon, was trying to reach for the backup sidearm!).

The crate that you might just about be able to make out on the base is also part of a Gorkamorka truck cut up a bit, with the emblem from a 2nd edition space marine's gun sliced off and stuck on top.
 
I've almost finished work on the marine. Final touching up of the graffiti to do today in natural light and I will do a final highlight of the whole marine when it's stuck to the base.
DSCN2272.JPGDSCN2273.JPG
I've done the main colours of the pistol but not spent much time on this yet.
DSCN2275.JPG
Arms are getting more attention now, gun arm nearly finished and about to start more work on grabber arm when I start the armour of the dreadnought.
DSCN2271.JPGDSCN2274.JPG
A bit more work on the dreadnought - the cables on the body and head have some colour (no harmonised cable colouring here...), eyes have been started, the final tooth has been stuck in and a bit of "blood" painted on the teeth.
DSCN2276.JPGDSCN2277.JPG
 
Looks good, especially liking freehand on poor marine's shoulder pad.
Thank you! I wanted the marine to be a Crimson Fist but was worried about painting the emblem (and nearly went for an Ultramarine instead). Oddly, that turned out okay without much hassle. I ended up having a lot more trouble trying to get the graffiti to look how I had it in my head.
 
I'd say it turned out much better than just okay, actually thought you had painted over a transfer. Love the irony of graffiti and marine's current predicament. :grin:
 
I'd say it turned out much better than just okay, actually thought you had painted over a transfer. Love the irony of graffiti and marine's current predicament. :grin:
Thanks! I spent a while trying deciding on what to write, and "ORK KILLA" getting killed by some orks won out in the end.
 
Back
Top