Alai Mercenaries

Machen

Well, this is a fantastic thread to bookmark in case I ever get around to painting Eldar. Classic minis painted beautifully in a classic style. My favorite is the Striking Scorpion. That one seems particularly well suited to early fall, with the body's greens giving way to the yellow helmet, which has lovely black tendrils that somehow remind me of Halloween. And you've clearly mastered gem-painting, something I haven't attempted yet. Great stuff!

ManicMan

nice work. My father used to collect Eldar as one of his armies. I got a couple of 'clearly not Eldar Mr. Lawer' figures from Oldschool minis. Tim Prow sculpts. Might be giving me some ideas what to do with them.

Ramses135

that original warwalker is a classic. you've done a good job on it, as is only to be expected.
I believe this is not the original War Walker, but its second iteration.

There should be an almost exactly the same model, with different pilot.

The mine is clearly 2e. The other pilot still has chainmail, which is older design, so I would say it's probably older (?)

EricF

Administrator
Cool. Are those the Armorcast ones? Those front bows are calling out for awesome freehand work beyond my skill levels (although I sometimes wonder about using digitally printed waterslide decals to overcome that limitation). I have a huge soft spot for my old Armorcast titans although I did pass on getting a Phantom once, which of course I now regret! Looking forward to seeing you doing these two wave serpents proud.

ManicMan

I believe this is not the original War Walker, but its second iteration.

There should be an almost exactly the same model, with different pilot.

The mine is clearly 2e. The other pilot still has chainmail, which is older design, so I would say it's probably older (?)
Looks original to me.. as the Original was kept in production till.. 4ed I think OH, I see.. yeah.. Second.. the original pilot had no pilot seat. the second version pilot had a built in seat.

batu

I love your Eldar! Maybe you can shoot a group picture. It seems like you have created an army already :)

symphonicpoet

I feel like I'm just an echo here, but really nicely done, and excellent choice of source material. The gem on the fellow with the shuriken catapult is absolutely boss, by the way. Great stuff.

EricF

Administrator
Well worth the wait! Hell I've got minis that I started years ago and must get back to!

Very nice, really loving the colours on these and in particular the yellow/black hazard stripes for a bit of extra contrast. Have you engaged in battle with the Wave Serpents yet?

Ramses135

Sadly, not yet. I painted a lot of minis since I last updated my Alai Mercenaries, but none of these was Eldar related.

I've done a lot of scatter terrain. I've done oldschool Genestealer Cult warband for Space Weirdos. I've done Ork pirates. Skeletons, Beholder, Nurglings, converted 40k Pestigor, Duergar, Drow, Kuo-toa, a Robosheriff warband, few random sci-fi models...

And then, I discovered Idoneth Deepkin from Age of Sigmar. My beloved sea elves. Read everything I could about them, even Black Library novels and short stories. Surprisingly great fluff. My love for elves was rekindled.

So here I am with my sci-fi ones.

EricF

Administrator
You've been keeping out of trouble then! I was very tempted with the shipwreck terrain piece that came out with the Sea Elves, but somehow my willpower held up. Certainly some impressive minis in that collection.

I think we need to see Robosheriff war band if not the whole lot! :)

Ramses135

Well, I'll give you my Genestealer Cult warband.

Sorry that these are no space elves, but you asked for it!

Attachments

• 20240425_231748.jpg
    20240425_231748.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 15

ManicMan

mm.. that reminds me.. Genestealer hybrids are mostly humans.. I've seen the odd ones like Ogres but.. Don't remember any Eldar hybrids... mm.. since fiction gives them such a .... history together later on, I wonder..

anyway, nice work ^_^

EricF

Administrator
Brilliant. Great looking sets of miniatures. I like the yellows to tie the cult together and to provide a nice contrast with the blue/purple. Nice basing in particular. Who does the robots? I"m always on the lookout for more minis I don't need and they look pretty cool.

Thanks!

Ramses135

Muhahahaha, today a package arrived - with even more Genestealer Cultists! Four more...

The bots are from Diehard Miniatures (Tim Prow). Love that each of them has a sheriff star.

Back