The Scottish scenario and other projects

Are there many other archaeologists on here besides me? I know Orlygg on Realms of Chaos was a archaeologist, and quite a few GW alumni were also archaeologists (I recently found a site report from the early 80s written by an N. Stillman whilst researching a job online).

At least one other, but not my place to reveal the livelihoods of forum members.
Though I hear @Brother Meredith is not shy about his OnlyFans.
 
Are there many other archaeologists on here besides me?
I was a professional archaeologist for a few years in the 90s after leaving GW and getting my degree. I ended up leaving after getting bored of the seasonal nature of the work, short term contracts and living in tents, caravans or B&B's for half the year. I did some very interesting digs in my time though.
 
I did my work experience at Secondary School with the county archeology unit, my uncle worked there. Not sure a week counts though! 😂
Ditto. Though I was still doing my degree. Helped on a summer dig for two weeks (& glorious sunshine) at Heysham. Run by a Lancaster Uni Archaeologist, called Chris Salisbury. On a raised beach, overlooking Morecambe Bay and the distant Lakeland Hills. We were looking for waste flakes where neolithic man had camped. Actually good fun, even the grunts work.
ps Forgot to say am not an Archeologist (or even a student)! Just amateur interest...
 
Last edited:
Update, I've painted about two more figures lately, but work, house moves and Land Rover restorations (and mending my combi boiler yesterday) have got in the way rather. I have ordered a wet palette so I can paint in the current very hot/dry conditions without the paint drying out almost instantaneously.

In other news I might need a new orange box to keep my figures in, this one's filling up fast...

IMG_4013.jpg
 
I've been painting again, and have discovered the wonderful world of wet palette which is an absolute game changer for me.

I did some more barbarians, but also some Space Orks. I acquired some of the old plastic ones which are my absolute favourite (narrowly beating the Space Ork Raider ones which preceded them). I got about six in a lot off eBay which were unpainted but assembled annoyingly because they're much easier to paint without the weapons attached. Interestingly one of them had a Space Marine bolter and a much later head but he sort of works ok. I also got a Gorka Morka Yoof simply because its an excellent figure and very Oldhammer in flavour.

The other thing I did was made a start on some prehistoric figures, with a pair of dinosaurs (Compsognathus) for a game/scenario idea I've had floating around. Whilst you do get dinosaurs in Warhammer and 40k, these were influenced more by several of the Fighting Fantasy books which strongly featured dinosaurs as encounters/adversaries and also the super 80s Waddingtons board game Lost Valley of the Dinosaurs which I had as a kid. Whilst I don't think many adventurers are going to be phased by something the size of a small goose, I do like the idea of presenting a complete ecosystem and do have some bigger scarier dinosaurs to follow. I absolutely loved painting these, very simple mono pose figures, but I tweaked them to look more natural. I also enjoyed painting little stripes on them (we own two tabby kittens so I think the inspiration came from them).

IMG_4022.jpg
 
Ditto. Though I was still doing my degree. Helped on a summer dig for two weeks (& glorious sunshine) at Heysham. Run by a Lancaster Uni Archaeologist, called Chris Salisbury. On a raised beach, overlooking Morecambe Bay and the distant Lakeland Hills. We were looking for waste flakes where neolithic man had camped. Actually good fun, even the grunts work.
ps Forgot to say am not an Archeologist (or even a student)! Just amateur interest...
How funny - I also did a week's work experience at Historic Buildings and Monuments in 1991... it was brilliant - but that's as close as I got.
 
Back
Top