Sunday Preview – Made to Ork-der

I guess of that lot £31.50 isn't TERRIBLE for Goff Rockers. I've seen them go for more on ebay. The rest though, yikes! Maybe they learned from people buying earlier made to orders and slapping them for sale online at a 100% markup weeks later?
I thought that - the rockers well maybe if I didn't have a blister of them already. I also want to write Geoff Rockers all the time ... sorry Geoff! Probably the subliminal impact of you having the guitars up on on your studio wall :)

The dreadnought however! Crazy - I tend to think in terms of dreads on ebay £15 is a bargain, £25-35 is okay and £40 is getting a bit too rich for me. Right now you can buy two "Killa Kan" dreads as they were called back in the day for £30 - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/257732891597
, rubbish weapons mind you. So how about £25 for one inline with the GW offering - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/365967639473
The GW price on that and the individual models is just crazy. I can slightly understand the higher asking for "command type" models in general where you know you're selling fewer of them, but in circumstances like this is just seems like daylight robbery £10-15 absolute tops and the £15 end of that would be too much for my taste.

Having looked for the Dreads I wondered if maybe I'm just totally out of touch. So here are a few ebay searches, not looked to see which are BIN vs auctions (no idea about the sellers, etc), but should anyone want something sooner than the 180 days made or order and in some cases a bit cheaper...

Boss Sagstruck
Didn't find this fella

Classic Deff Dread
£25 - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/365967639473
£25 - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/365967631931
£25 - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/365967634408
£20 - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/407243130968
£30 - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/287593688418
(or if you like your classics to be classics - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/327334803140)

Classic Ghazghkull Thraka
£30 - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/318618377739
£21 - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/298685776831
(or https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/287593706105 if you want a bit more "classic" classic)

Goff Rockers
£70 - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/287602270353
£95 - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/257754630548 (in blister)

Mad Dog Grotsnik
£20 - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/277496958730 (from Australia)
£20 - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/298685759809
£20 - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/206574666536

Classic Nazdreg Ug Urdgrub
£60 - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/256543814840
Seems rarer, sold prices would put him at ~£15-40

Classic Zodgrod Wortsnagga
£30 - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/166261779638
£15 - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/318886008309
£25 - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/287602264243
£85 - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/287586292529 (no not sold by GW - I get the assumption given the price, but a new in blister!)
 
slightly unrelated, but I was looking through some stuff and found a nice convertion job of a couple of Skaven by Mike McVey, and thought "They just reissued them... It would cost about £50" just to get the base two figures needed for this conversation....

which I think kinda says what GW is really into these days.. "Screw conversation! just buy buy buy! for only 99.99.99" (found out the other day that Michael Donovan died earlier this year... shame.. soo many good roles he did..
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
)

sorry for this side note, but... kinda true.. with the prices they charge for a second figure, you really gonna cut them up to customise?
 
GW hasn't really wanted anyone converting or scratch building terrain since the early 2000s when they started selling plastic scenery. Remember when White Dwarf used to show you fun things like that? Now they just wanna sell you pre-made. I'm amazed they haven't found a way to offer pre-painted yet. Not much of the hobby left with modern GW.
 
They haven't tried pre-painted? Hasbro do alot of pre-painted stuff with DnD (I say painted... I'm not sure if some is multicolour prints or... whatever that pretty fancy form of screen printing they can do on complex shapes... er.. I haven't paid much attention to them so maybe just masked.)
 
I could have sworn they did pre-painted at some point.. maybe via that overpriced range they did for a while? master class or something.. It wasn't a period I played much attention to.
 
can't say any of that looks partially good to me... and that is.. well... clearly not hand painted.. I would be interested in how tech has evolved with machine painting, in that there was a time when factory painted details would have problems with being mis-aligned, and you would have a limited number of colours, and you had to be careful with some shapes, and I'm sure there were some big advancements in them but I would be interested in knowing just how some of the modern paint masks work on such things...

and if I wanted Caps on my field, I would put them there.. they work really well if you over load them. You get the metal shell shooting at a pretty impressive speed (not saying that I have accidently overloaded a fair sized electrolyic capacitor while trying to do a repair, having the metal shell only narrowly missing my face... no.. I would never do something so stupid... impressive though)
 
I believe the phrase required is "ouch"
I would like a metal ork dreadnought. The 3rd edition one is not a million miles away from the 2nd edition version and looks like it has a more dynamic leg design. I wonder how they mix. GBP65 is just too much & I'd prefer one from the earlier editions anyway.

The Nazdreg pose is awful and I'm not in love with the sculpt. I believe it comes in 3-4 parts so it's deficiencies may not be too hard to overcome with a bit of modelling. I liked his strategy card bonus in 2nd edition. I still have my mega-armoured Bad Moonz proxy. I don't think I ever fielded Wortsnagga though I think it is a great sculpt. I was disappointed the old Ghaz was not in the mix. I might have considered the 3rd edition Ghaz if it was half that price.

I may pick up the rokkers reasoning that the GAW October divis will pay for them.
 
Last edited:
I would like a metal ork dreadnought. The 3rd edition one is not a million miles away from the 2nd edition version and looks like it has a more dynamic leg design.
I think I might have the bits for a a couple of the 2nd/3rd dreads knocking about. I'd have to double check. I've a couple of the "eggs" that I was going to have in my RT orc army so the others are in the "well I have them, but what will I do with them" pile for now ... do you want me to go and rummage and see what's actually there?
 
I think I might have the bits for a a couple of the 2nd/3rd dreads knocking about. I'd have to double check. I've a couple of the "eggs" that I was going to have in my RT orc army so the others are in the "well I have them, but what will I do with them" pile for now ... do you want me to go and rummage and see what's actually there?
Very kind of you to offer, but please don't trouble yourself. My existing project queue is probably measured in years at the current rate of painting. It can remain an aspiration.
 
Back
Top