SPRU Con - 26/09/26 Albert Hall, Nottingham

Indie at a corporate entry price! I was thinking I’ll pop over maybe a few mates would tag along but not at that price
 
We've a nice medieval hall attached to a pub that would be a lovely backdrop for a few good games, but the hire costs are crazy especially at the weekend where they also want you to guarantee the bar takings so that put paid to my idle dreams! (think £10k+).
Looking online the hall space itself for Spru says prices from £3k on a weekday and they have both spaces at the weekend, so I would assume ££. I guess given vendors are not paying for stalls the money has to come from somewhere. I think I might have personally looked to try to subsidise the child (0-15) tickets which are £15, but I guess maybe this event is aimed more at adults?
 
Last edited:
There are other lower cost venues that an event can be held at, but these guys are going big! I admire their ambition.

I have been keeping an eye on local venues too, have hire space at our local civic hall and community centre that could accommodate events. If only I knew enough people to invite… 😅
 
I understand the intention of not charging traders, but I think it's the wrong way around. Charge the public hefty entrance and they'll be less inclined to spend more money inside, hence everyone goes away unhappy. Charge the traders but pull in a big crowd and the public has lots of money to spend, goes away with stuff and happy. The traders do good business and get attention leading to further sales so go away happy.
 
Last edited:
100% agree with you Fimm, you could even charge the traders a lower price and make it up on the door with a fair price, more people, more money spent! I think they are going to miss out on a bigger audience for sure
 
Last edited:
true. General business practice is the public has XX amount of money. IF they spend it getting in, they are gonna expect more stuff for free or cheap. Probably why alot of events which have a bit of a fee also have freebie bags (like, for example, Salute). Sure, it takes from your profit BUT you don't want to fleece your public. It is better to build up that good will (low entry, free goodie bag etc) to get more people to enter, and thus cover the costs and some profit via the amount who attend then having fewer people pay more to cover the same cost.

Besides, once you have build up the good will and people like it, you can increase your price without a huge knock-on the goodwill so people are more likely to return.

It's like alot of local bootsales (what little you still get) are either free entry for the public, or small entry if pubic in car, OR free but donations welcome. Depending on things, you will get more for Donations if you don't charge entry as people don't feel they have paid. If you charge a a fair bit to enter, anyone that doesn't find anything of interest more feels ripped off and unlikely to return.
 
My "local" big event - beachhead is £18 for Sat+Sun if you buy tickets now (or £10 for one day), I forget what it is "on the door", a bit more. It seems they cover a lot of their costs by running the various tournaments at the event - tickets for those range from £30 up to £80 for the 40k tournament. I'm not quite sure how many in each event, but the AoS event mentions 60 players and at £70 a ticket that's £4200 from that one for instance. Not that I expect the BiC is cheap to hire. Still I suppose that's another approach to covering costs - although obviously the hard-core tourney scene isn't quite what us oldhammer types are generally here for!

Anyhow really hoping Sprucon goes well, I look forward to seeing some photos of the inaugural event. It's a good list of vendors and sounds like it'll be fun. As mentioned by others - I also admire the ambition!
 
good pricey too far ^_^

reminds me with the Fighting Fantasy Conversation... you can by a 'online' ticket so you can stream some of the events.. pretty pricey for what it is but, I do wish some of the talks were recorded and released some how.
 
Didn’t get many photos, but here is a pic of the main hall later in the afternoon when it was a lot less heaving!
IMG_1617.jpeg

There were more vendors downstairs in the foyer and lower hall.

On the stage were a bunch of tables put on by Kamping Kitbash. Most of the vendors were running small demo games - I had a small game of MiniGangs and a gnome racing game by Jungle Fowl Games.

I managed to be quite restrained with my purchases, mainly appreciating various freebies kindly given away. Everyone had stickers and cool business cards.

It was a fun day out and hope they are able to run one again in the future!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1618.jpeg
    IMG_1618.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1619.jpeg
    IMG_1619.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1620.jpeg
    IMG_1620.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 15
Back
Top