Nightmare Legion - 100 Strong - Now with reinforcements P2!

fullsizeoutput_871.jpeg

Just thought I'd put these up here, as I've finally got them finished. These have been an absolute chore to paint, as, with the best will in the world, they're not actually very good models, even with my best rose-tinted spectacles on!

IMG_4151.JPG

Paintwise, I've gone for a simple red and gold theme, with shields that mimic the ones on the original box, but not the plastic ones that would have been a pain to get hold of. I also didn't fancy painting 100 identical shields. Or, more accurately, if you look at the original box, cutting out 100 paper skulls and sticking them on the shields! They're actually Qin Chinese shields from 1st Corps that I attacked with a file to damage them. Other than that, and the numbers, they're as they came out of the box.

IMG_4154.JPG

IMG_4152.JPG

fullsizeoutput_872.jpeg

Subedai

Re: Nightmare Legion - 100 Strong!

A stirring sight! They look very impressive as a full legion, just as I always imagined them. The Qin shields are a great choice and perfect fit, with the shape resembling coffin lids and their bronze edges nicely reflected in some of the armour elements.

I had a bunch of skellies to paint up a few years ago, 40 I think? I just dipped the bastards & they turned out fine.

Kudos for getting the horde done though Diesel. Pushing on through an utterly tedious painting project can suck the joy out of living for quite a while. I think we can all empathise with your pain mate ;)

Well done!

Such a superb sight. A really cool unit. I wish I could show this to my 13 year old self, he would have been even more impressed.

Jeff McC

Unit looks great! Congrats on maintaining the enthusiasm to see it through.

symphonicpoet

That's a lot of bones! Love what you did with the shields. Very simple looking and very effective. Classic. I think I like it quite a lot better than the obligatory skellie selfies on the box art, actually. (Though working in a couple of faint selfies to change it up is a very nice touch.)

Gallivantes

I have to recognise the achievement of painting up a 100 dudes. I approve of the shields also.

Suber

Amazing. The inherent loss of sanity points has been totally worth of it.

Niko

Very impressive ! One of my favourite regiment of renown ! Brillant job sir ! :)

marklord

Funny what you said about it being tedious - I remember feeling the exact same thing when I painted them after they first came out - right pain! Think it would have been to do the Lichemaster scenario

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Nightmare Legion - 100 Strong - Now with reinforcements

So, after breaking the back of the Nightmare Legion, I've finally managed to get a whole load of reinforcements finished!

Mounted Liche King:
fullsizeoutput_87b.jpg

Cheery Marauder Wight:
fullsizeoutput_877.jpg

Ghouls led by a Necromancer:
fullsizeoutput_876.jpg

Unit of Skeletons armed with Arquebuses:
fullsizeoutput_874.jpg

Ooh, mummy!
fullsizeoutput_878.jpg

Crossbow armed Skeletons:
fullsizeoutput_87e.jpg

Cursed Company:
fullsizeoutput_875.jpg

Zombies:
fullsizeoutput_879.jpg

Zombies (Higher view)
fullsizeoutput_87a.jpg

Scratch built Corpse Cart
fullsizeoutput_87c.jpg

and the army in all it's current glory!

fullsizeoutput_87d.jpg

Gallivantes

That's nearly another 100 models in less then a week if my count isn't completely off! By golly. Let me bombard you with questions.

Is that your output pace? 100 models a week is nuts. Or did some work go into them before?
What make are those Arquebusiers? The leader in the coat is really nice, so is the banner. Is the banner an original or a conversion?
What make/sculptor is the leader of the mummy unit?
Your corpse cart conversion conversion really came together nicely. Right down to the wheel tracks and the tensed/relaxed bits of chains the skellies are tugging! Are the skellies a conversion or does someone make those labouring ones?

Great looking army :)

Gallivantes":toxw7aay said:
That's nearly another 100 models in less then a week if my count isn't completely off! By golly. Let me bombard you with questions.

Is that your output pace? 100 models a week is nuts. Or did some work go into them before?

Lord no! A lot of these were part finished, but my determination to get the Nightmare Legion finished stopped me working on them. The arquebusiers, crossbows, Cursed Company and Cart were part finished, but the Mummies, Ghouls and zombies were only undercoated.

What make are those Arquebusiers? The leader in the coat is really nice, so is the banner. Is the banner an original or a conversion?

They're 90's era GW plastics that I converted with (I think) Essex miniatures weapons. The leader is an 80's era Citadel 'Coachman' model with a skelly head, and the banner is a greenstuff 'skin' over a GW plastic banner.

What make/sculptor is the leader of the mummy unit?

No idea, sorry, it came up in a eBay lot. It's mildly converted in that I changed the dagger.

Your corpse cart conversion conversion really came together nicely. Right down to the wheel tracks and the tensed/relaxed bits of chains the skellies are tugging! Are the skellies a conversion or does someone make those labouring ones?

Again, they're all 90's era GW plastics I converted and posed.

And thanks!

Back