EGG

Not exactly grim-dark, but I've always been a fan of:
L'armata Brancaleone​
Brancaleone alla Crociate​
Les Visiteurs​
Les Visiteur's II​

ManicMan

WHF isn't grim-dark ^_^;

I've been debating it but.. well, As it's a sum up of Fantasy 80s (films, DnD and some other bits), Ronal the Barbarian. 2011 Danish CGI film (not for kids). while the English dub is pretty good, it's a bit annoying that Brigitte Nielsen only voiced her character (an Amazon of course) in the Danish original. even though the character was even visually based on her. Comedy, Fantasy world, Evil trying to take over, Barbarians, heavy metal. annoying the only dvd I could get of it was via France so its in either french or english with french subtitles which aren't set up too well so some dvd players always display them, some don't.. still fun film.

Berkut666

WHF isn't grim-dark ^_^;

I've been debating it but.. well, As it's a sum up of Fantasy 80s (films, DnD and some other bits), Ronal the Barbarian. 2011 Danish CGI film (not for kids). while the English dub is pretty good, it's a bit annoying that Brigitte Nielsen only voiced her character (an Amazon of course) in the Danish original. even though the character was even visually based on her. Comedy, Fantasy world, Evil trying to take over, Barbarians, heavy metal. annoying the only dvd I could get of it was via France so its in either french or english with french subtitles which aren't set up too well so some dvd players always display them, some don't.. still fun film.
Sorry I was going of the OP where it was asked about films that have WHF hence why I called out WHF vibes even though that chat had moved to grim dark

Padre

Honourable mention for an 80s tv show, Robin of Sherwood. That show fueled many a campaign and adventure idea for me at the time - low Fantasy, with magic, and a band of adventurers having adventures very much like RP scenarios. I was even inspired by the Brabancon mercenaries in one episode (which I studied in history subsequently) to create the Brabanzon in the Tilean campaign, although my Brabanzon are 'nicer'!

symphonicpoet

I recall enjoying a series on William Tell called Crossbow in the 80s. Been forever since I saw it, but it's on YouTube now:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It's . . . very 80s, but then so is Warhammer.

I'd also add Ladyhawke:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It too is entirely 80s, and it takes a little work to get past the ridiculousness of the costumes, but the show is fantastic in spite of that. Lots of great performances. One of Rutger Hauer's best.

ManicMan

Honourable mention for an 80s tv show, Robin of Sherwood. That show fueled many a campaign and adventure idea for me at the time - low Fantasy, with magic, and a band of adventurers having adventures very much like RP scenarios. I was even inspired by the Brabancon mercenaries in one episode (which I studied in history subsequently) to create the Brabanzon in the Tilean campaign, although my Brabanzon are 'nicer'!
Oh, Robin of Sherwood is a given for early fantasy

surely, grim-dark as they define it more is basically nothing happy, no patch of light or anything, 100% war torn world, yet I see no place where most versions of fantasy were like that. could stuff be dangerous? yes, could stuff be dark? yes, but there was times of happiness, patchs of light, some people who are just simple folk who enjoy simple stuff etc. Again, see Robin of Sherwood. Very muted and not bold bright colours, but the balance of light and dark. 40K where there was never any 'hope' was always grim-dark, no-one was 'good' or happy, where as most fantasy, you had some good people and could have a local celebration, which is then ruined by some evil attacking.

Oh and despite some people's claims of it being a load of Crap, British classic fantasy me says you probebly need to include Krull

Back