do conferences count?

Fimm McCool

Calling it a conference is a bit serious isn't it? That would imply people sitting around a table talking subjects rather than having any fun playing games.

ManicMan

been done before for miniature gaming and I've seen the odd warhammer/GW based academic paper but if you are having to cut out SOO much to just focus so narrowly like that, it's use in academic circles is gonna be... very low.

symphonicpoet

^Huh! Very interesting. Downloaded it and gave it a start. Will finish later, but it definitely looks like one worth saving. Neat to see it referencing others. Apparently we are now the locus of a whole cycle of academic papers. Professors playing with toy soldiers! (I really need to find a way to work toy soldiers into a symphony.)

Orjetax

I must say that this conference looks great.

Pictures are circulating on blue sky.

These I have screenshotted from games researcher @rosgakori.Bsky.social

8d22d122cef434e8a29c4b3e24210ab3.jpg

636c45c5622ca2d7f126714708e50c9a.jpg

4e7b4dcf104f950430e5506f654429e6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EricF

Administrator
Don't tell me the "lead pile" phrase is dying ... granted I have come across "plastic crack" a fair few times among the young things, but my veins still flow with the heavy metals of lore as it should be!

I shall have to re-read the paper however, I seem to recall reading it before, but I don't remember much!

Orjetax

Don't tell me the "lead pile" phrase is dying ... granted I have come across "plastic crack" a fair few times among the young things, but my veins still flow with the heavy metals of lore as it should be!

I shall have to re-read the paper however, I seem to recall reading it before, but I don't remember much!

Metal will always be best.

We did have our fun plastics though …

c80ec28133adef44fec884bf2d6dfec7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EricF

Administrator
We had the best of times :)

I always found it weird (although I understand the marketing plan) how Citadel went from quite clever multipart plastics to the era of monopose madness before eventually getting to the modern monopose (for the most part), but impressive sculpting (although not all to my taste). Coming at it from the modelling side of things when young I really didn't at the time understand why the "new stuff" seemed less good than my old stuff!

ManicMan

I don't get why soo many companies that do plastic (or sometimes resin ¬_¬) are very monopose but tons and pieces and I look at some of them and think.. "you have no reason for making this in this many pieces apart from to annoy people"

Geroak II

Always interested in psychology and human behaviour, so that 'Pile of shame phenomenon' does sound interesting. I wonder if they recorded this event and will upload it on youtube or somewhere else.

EricF

Administrator
monopose but tons and pieces
I think generally the multiple pieces approach to plastics (especially) is mostly down to mold extraction, so essentially working around limitations on what is physically possible when getting a bit of plastic out of a steel mold. If you get to see the most recent Space Hulk terminators you'll see some really drawn out bits where the designs were compromised to allow for molding in one piece. The old RTB01 shoulder studs are another good example where they couldn't be more like the lead models since they had to come out of the mold. Then I am sure there is a little bit of curtly sprinkled on top just for good measure ;)

I wonder if they recorded this event and will upload it on youtube
Alas their YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/@manchestergamecentre/videos) looks to be fairly quiet - no updates in a year. It'd be interesting to hear what they had to say. I always quite like a clean take on subjects like this since for so many the/their hobby is close to their heart it can be hard to see why companies might do one thing or another.

Back