Blue Tries the "Dip"

Naagruz

Zhu Bajie":3cdqp5b4 said:
What on earth is that? Some sort of skull-hobbit with arms coming out of his sides wearing a dress and a HR Giger alien hat?
It's what happens when you let sculptors get drunk & copy John Blanche art... ;)
Bottom left:

Attachments

• Oh Blanche.jpg
    Oh Blanche.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 1,217

mbh

Blue in VT":2x5dmax1 said:
I use the inks for my regular painting style....mostly for bases and metals....and I agree they are great....the soft tone isn't quite a exact replacement for Gryphonne Sepia but its fairly close....perhaps I should try a full figure with the Dark Tone ink and see how it compares with this Minwax figure.

I've been catching a fair amount of Shit on other forums for "succumbing to the dip" instead of my regular painting...so I'll take a second and explain my rational here in case anyone cares.

I'm a father of two kids under 6...my wife and I both work full time....and we have a house to take care of...so my hobby time is quite limited....if I can average an hour a day I'm doing good. I am also a slow painter...If you follow my blog you will know that it took me nearly 6 full weeks to complete a unit of 16 Bret Spears...and I have HUNDREDS of figures waiting to be painted. I would love to have the time to paint each and every one up to its fullest potential...but that is just not going to happen before I retire... ;) I also have cultivated a group of players for 3rd Ed. games....but none of them are collectors or painters...so I supply all the figures for both sides in our games...I'm happy to do this but it often means that we use a lot of unpainted figures....this annoys me and somewhat ruins the experience of the game. So I'm looking for ways to get units on the table in a reasonable amount of time with PJs that aren't embarrassing to me....and I think this is a viable way to do that with killing myself or my relationship with my family or work. So I won't be stopping painting in my normal fashion...the Dip will be another tool in my tool box to use to achieve my ultimate goal...which is to have a lot of fun and good looking games with my friends.

Plus I can always strip them and paint them again in the future when I have lots of spare time... :lol:

Anyway...I know the comments here have been nothing but supportive...but I felt I should get that out there now in case there were any misconceptions about my goals.

Cheers,

Blue

I hate this idea that using a dip or an airbrush or any other non traditional technique is paint cheating. It's completely absurd in so many ways. If you have spent your money on the models, you get to whatever you want with them. Your models look great dipped.

I would much rather play against a nicely dipped army as opposed to models painted poorly with traditional methods.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthrea ... n-progress)

This guys army is totally amazing and it's dipped.

Naagruz

Unfinished, but here is what you get with thinner layers of color over a white undercoat prior to brushed-on Polyshades Tudor Satin:

This is about 80% of the way there. Just highlighting & detailing left, especially on the skin/face.

Attachments

• HORC-DIP2.jpg
    HORC-DIP2.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 1,169
  • HORC-DIP1.jpg
    HORC-DIP1.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 1,169

phreedh

Naagruz, did you prime and dip before tinting or did you prime and tint, and then dip?

I think prime and dip would be a great way to pre-shade models - especially very naturalistic ones like orcs, trolls etc with plenty of organic materials.

Mr Saturday

I can only echo what people have been saying, dipping is just another technique. There is no cheating, there are only results. I've been using dip for years and I've developed my own way of working with it. Frankly it allows me to work mostly on the more interesting areas of the model, faces, shields, freehand etc, and I often work over the dip in these areas. almost all my fimir are dipped at some point during painting.

Ghoul-wip-02.jpg

Heyer

Mr Saturday":1ygz6hjj said:
I can only echo what people have been saying, dipping is just another technique. There is no cheating, there are only results. I've been using dip for years and I've developed my own way of working with it. Frankly it allows me to work mostly on the more interesting areas of the model, faces, shields, freehand etc, and I often work over the dip in these areas. almost all my fimir are dipped at some point during painting.

Ghoul-wip-02.jpg

I think i am going to give a try to the dipping,it look great and fast,mabye it will let me downsize my pile of lead :mrgreen: .

Naagruz

Nice sequence Mr. Saturday!

Another thing worth pointing out is that minis with more intricate features, like the defined muscles on the ghoul, are going to fare better when dipped. It takes more work to get the dip to lay right on larger flat surfaces.

Back