Avenging Knights - a sweet haul

fuljason

That Warseer post is a famous Trolling thread, I don't believe that any of the sellers accused on that post are Recasters, it just over excited kids trolling.

Must try harder

cheers
J

ardyer

fuljason":20ac81ab said:
That Warseer post is a famous Trolling thread, I don't believe that any of the sellers accused on that post are Recasters, it just over excited kids trolling.

Must try harder

cheers
J

Okay, see you made me dig up the specific post ;) Hopefully corporate IT doesn't get onto me for surfing the internet to much. Here is the specific auction linked in that thread to which I was referring:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WARHAMMER-FAN ... true&rt=nc

But again, although recasts, they are so incredibly bad that you can't take them seriously or as any indication that recasting is a real problem.

bug16

ardyer":1frw784q said:
That said, our own Bug16's blog has an article about some forgeworld recasts he'd received.

Somebody read my blog! :grin:

Although I like to think that I'm pretty good at spotting recasters on ebay I've certainly bought a few by accident. That said, sometimes it can be difficult to tell exactly because GW did sell a number of their older models in white metal for quite a while. E.g. I bought a number of RT era metal metal beakies direct from GW Mail Order and they look like good recasts with their two mould lines and very clean white metal castings.

With the seller I mentioned on my blog article it wasn't just the recasting that annoyed, it was also the shill bidding.

Personally I don't like recasts and I'm always a bit peeved when an ebay win looks suspiciously like a recast because when I'm buying old models I like to get an original.

Btw, those DE Witch Elves look pathetically bad! Surely the whole things was just a bit of a joke?

fuljason":1u9caiu9 said:
I would love to see a photo or two of the recasts compared to an original miniature as I have always thought they were a bit of an urban legend perpetuated by some of the young 'uns on Dakka Dakka. Photo evidence is lacking.
J

Here's my example of the Disciples I have. An original casting on the left (been stripped of paint so the metal is slightly stained) and the dodgy one on the right. Sadly I have four more dodgy ones and only the one original.

discredredemp.jpg

You can see the loss of detail and lack of depth to the recast. There's also a bit of shrinkage as well. Sometimes you do get roughly cast originals where moulds were spun to death but you don't tend to get anything quite like the model on the right even from a duff original mould.

Got a few other models as well I could show if anybody wants to see.

bug16

Wow, the loss of detail on those is pretty bad. I'd be annoyed if I won those on ebay! Do show us more. :)

When I get a chance at the weekend I'll post up comparison of a DE model vs the very poor quality recast I won 20 of. I was not amused when I found out! I'll also do a comparison of some original RT marines vs the GW white metal models showing that things you think are recasts aren't necessarily that.

fuljason

thanks guys, this is so more civilised than the carnage on Warseer and Dakka Dakka, I can take a more informed view on recasts.
J

Back