Arc lights (etc)

SnufflePox

Vassal
Hi all. Anyone here have much experience using arc lights or similar - the painting daylight window is starting to vanish again heading into Orctober, so contemplating splashing out on some painting lights and wondered if anyone has any advice / suggestions / shun-like-Nurgle's-Rot..?
Not wedded to arc lights specifically, so any kind of rig that does the job is in scope..Space is not an issue (unless anyone goes wild with photo shoot style lighting - that might be a push..)
 
There were a few suggestions in this thread:

When you say "arc" - do you mean an electrical arc, there certainly used to be lamps that worked off the principle of electrical arcs (ie like a spark), but I can't imagine there would be many around now outside of specialist areas, but I stand to be corrected. Or do you mean like an arch of lights - much like you see when going past all those nail salons that seem to have popped up everywhere?

(unless anyone goes wild with photo shoot style lighting - that might be a push..)
Think Fimm just got some new studio-esq lights!
 
Heh - good question, but I mean those arches of lights - I've seen them referred to as both arch and arc, but arch doesn't have the ambiguity to it, so I'll run with that in future! I'll take a look at that thread you suggested before wittering further in here.
 
I got confused at first as I thought you meant ones like my lighter, which is an Arc lighter (high frequency electrical spark ^_^

(damn.. I started writing this before any replies, but I had to go out which is why now this reply is much later and too late ¬_¬ but wanted to still post it anyway)
 
Yeah, didn't occur to me that that would be how most people would interpret my choice of description!

But as there was nothing really relating to ARCH lights in the other thread I was directed to, the question stands if anyone has used them and has recommendations etc.. :)
 
while not the best choice, I mostly have a cheap-ish bulkhead light which I modified into a lamp (not alot of work.. been meaning to work on the light output cause for one thing it's half wave as any led lights are.

problem with multiangle lights is when you are trying to work out shadow. If you have more of one major light source, it can help. But that said, you are kinda trying to paint and put in the light source of your choice, not going just by whatever you are painting with.
 
Yeah, didn't occur to me that that would be how most people would interpret my choice of description!
It was in my mind because I've been sorting out solenoids for one of our new Halloween additions this year and I was getting a lot of sparking (or arcing) on the contacts when the coil discharged until I found some suitable diodes to pop across the coils and cut all that flashy nonsense out.

Anyhow I often thing I'd quite like a bit more ambient light around when painting and have wondered about getting a second lamp, but I worry the colour temperature matching will be a pain. I guess a larger arch of lights (guessing we are talking about things like this random one from Amazon) might stop that so I can see the appeal. I've seen a few arm lamps that have two LED strips along the arm (random example from Amazon) on them that can be angled as you choose so something like that might be another option?

I do like having the magnifier in mine, I find that useful.
 
I have also been eyeing those magnification set ups - part of me doesn't want to see any more mistakes than my slowly degrading Mk I eyeball already pick up though..
 
Yeah, didn't occur to me that that would be how most people would interpret my choice of description!

But as there was nothing really relating to ARCH lights in the other thread I was directed to, the question stands if anyone has used them and has recommendations etc.. :)

I had the same problem as Eric and didn't even realize it could mean something other than an electrical spark arcing across a gap. I don't know that Eric and I would count as "most people" though, since I'm an old stagehand, and I believe Eric worked in TV. Odd places that at least used to use arc lamps a lot, though less these days. (Thanks to the ever popular LED.) Anyway, good luck finding the lighting you want. :-)
 
Back
Top