Accents and Dialects

What provinces sounded like which real world locations do you reckon?
Kislev clearly has Russian vibes so they would have Russian sounding accents, alas I can't be more specific than that.

Sylvania would have some sort of Romany twang I guess.

Stirland?
I am minded for Yorkshire or the West Country style? (UK)

Thoughts?

ManicMan

Sommerset for Stirland. I think one version of Fantasy Roleplay said that some characters put on a stirland accent for a slow rural character, So I just think of Sommerset and the Wurzuls ^_^

That looks quite cool, alas I can't make out the details and the original website seems long gone.

Do you have an image of better quality at all?

Dreadaxe

That looks quite cool, alas I can't make out the details and the original website seems long gone.

Do you have an image of better quality at all?

IX32LXz.jpeg

Andy Law is a fan but also the former collection director for WFRP4. If you search on the internet you should find others that link to his work.

Last edited:
Some of the provinces seem to be an amalgam of historic countries e.g. Polish-Lithuanian commonwealth, Ukraine & Russia for Kislev; Transylvania and Wallachia (both now Romania) for Sylvania. In such cases, pick your accent.

I imagine Stirlanders speaking a German dialect like Bavarians or Austrians.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

FWIW, I’ve had older Austrian colleagues from Styria who spoke English with an accent just like this.

Last edited:

Thomas52

As for Stirland, I agree that Yorkshire feels spot on – rough, rural vibes, Maybe even some Bavarian twang, since Stirland is pretty traditional, maybe a bit backwards Warm Ale?Definitely, Stirland sounds like a place where ale is drunk warm and without hurry Supplement: Kislev with a Russian accent?Yes, exactly!Maybe something between Tsarist Russia and modern Eastern Europe, Sylvania, on the other hand, has more of a Hungarian-Romanian feel, not just Romany. 8-)

Geroak II

No idea if my train of thought on this is correct, but I've always associated Marienburg with Netherlands and Hochland as Switzerland. Might have to dig out good ol' 'Heirs to Sigmar' and see what their lore was like in early 00s.

It is, the taverns and inns have a poker near the hearth that one heats and plunges into the ale to heat it up and chase away the chills.
No offence to any Stirlanders, but that sounds pretty awful. Why not just go with glühwein?

Geroak II

I believe many of the 'better beers' are supposed to be drunk at room temperature? Or at least definitely not freezer-cold anyway.

Maybe The Empire does not have glühwein ?
Or going with warm beer is more affordable than warm wine? Either way, I really like that tid-bit of lore about Stirlanders having a liking for warm beer. Certainly makes them stand apart from other states of the empire. But now I feel like I have to search from lore if glühwein is a thing in the empire. :grin:

Could be, though much of the Empires wine comes from Stirland, so maybe not?

"But now I feel like I have to search from lore if glühwein is a thing in the empire."
Let me know, I will add it to my notes.

I like the little bits of trivia about The Empire, makes it more real.

Back