2024 Legacy Signup: The Great Escape in Space

Geroak II

Nah, I got you. And you could be right, they might have been taking a jab at the knuckleheads.
How I see it, is that in the end it boils down to how people use these figures, some take them as permission to do some dubious stuff.
I once bought this nicely painted Blood Axe boss, it didn’t show in the pictures but once I got the mini it had a big honking swastika painted on top of the cap. I couldn’t help but to think if such underlining was really necessary.

ManicMan

very much parody of skinheads. Personally, I don't see the problem. The Swastika was a symbol of victory long before the Nazi's used it but I know some people are a bit sensitive on the issue with it being a bit more recent then alot of the other, often far more brutal references.. but fair enough.

Old Hob

Do Da Do-do
Do-do Da Do-do
Do Do Do Do Da Do Da Do-do

So here's my contribution - Blythe 'the Forger' - painted last night.

AAB82sq.jpeg

s9rHK63.jpeg

uscwMwr.jpeg

Looking good Old Hob!

Here’s the two options I’m bringing to the table-
First up a sister of battle that I’m seeing as an evil guard.
D64E815C-C3F2-4CFC-83F7-CD15480D9F05.jpeg

And here’s that partial Screamer Killer.
Unfortunately that’s all of it I’ve got left for some reason? (Other than the box..)
I should have some plastic tyranid scything arms that should fill the gaps left, I was also thinking about continuing the arms down to his leg nubs, maybe even an extra set coming out of the ground to give him the appearance more of a massive chaos centipede?
29765167-45C1-4C44-A5A8-857BC3036524.jpeg

EricF

Administrator
Humm, might have trouble fitting the screamer killer in - as it stands the box I have for the piece is only 1.5" deep and he looks like he's already overflowing that 40mm base. I seem to recall they were quite big beasties.

Humm, might have trouble fitting the screamer killer in - as it stands the box I have for the piece is only 1.5" deep and he looks like he's already overflowing that 40mm base. I seem to recall they were quite big beasties.
He’s definitely a chonky sculpt, sounds like I’ll be going the way of female guard then if there are no objections to it!

Geroak II

Painted and varnished, will be posted soon.
Unfortunately varnish dulled down most of the highlights and I had to repaint them. Maybe I applied too thick coats or perhaps I should’ve used satin varnish instead of matt. Either way, whoever ends up with the lot might want to consider giving this ork one more coat of varnish.

Ork2.jpg

Machen

Damn, Geroak, I love your work. Those tiny white stipples (stitches, I presume) on the bandages are insane!

And Old Hob, you painted that guy in a night? It takes me forever to paint a single mini. Well done, both of you!

Old Hob

Painted and varnished, will be posted soon.
Unfortunately varnish dulled down most of the highlights and I had to repaint them. Maybe I applied too thick coats or perhaps I should’ve used satin varnish instead of matt. Either way, whoever ends up with the lot might want to consider giving this ork one more coat of varnish.

View attachment 10127
Oh, he's the absolute business. As others have said, I love all the stippling and the use of red to break up the earthy colours. He looks a proper bastard.
And Old Hob, you painted that guy in a night? It takes me forever to paint a single mini. Well done, both of you!
It's what's nice about the challenge - banging out something I wouldn't normally paint rather than tackling the ever-growing painting queue.

EricF

Administrator
Looks like I've somewhat volunteered myself for some collation of entries at least initially. So just PM me for my address as and when bits are ready and if I get the diorama done in time we'll figure out who is doing the final collation (if not me this year) and sending out to the lucky sole.

I have at least now down a rummage through my bits boxes and pulled out lots of potential bits and pieces so might be heading towards the first rough mock. Basically as per the previous design, but I was thinking I might put the unconnected tunnel on the left instead - have two "escape tunnels" heading to the right. Then that unconnected one could be part of the camp guard setup - maybe an underground listening point or something. Who knows? Must order up a few other bits before everyone is out of stock post Salute!

EricF

Administrator
So with the arrival of miniatures on the horizon I thought I really should break out the plasticard and get started!
Not much to show yet, but I've roughed out the layout and found a decent pile of bits to greeble it with. So since it might help with your mini choices here is the WIP. The frame is A4 in size, so it is not large, but should fit our little lot (I hope).

prison-camp-wip-01.jpg

So basically similar layout to the sketches. I changed the bottom bit so the escape tunnel heads off out of the camp and the guards have a secret listening post (or something) dangerously close to the tunnel. The hut up top will still have a little guard tower on top of it and we'll have a fence and some foliage out in the yard.

Hopefully I can do an update in a few more days with things a bit more fleshed out, I just need to go and buy some lightweight filler.

Last edited:

EricF

Administrator
Done a little more this afternoon which should help set the scene! Ideally I'd have a bit more sky, but hey ho. Will it make 100% logic, no, but I feel that is in keeping with the old sliced through dioramas where you had minis on every level battling and had to avoid asking "how did they get there?"

prison-camp-wip-04.jpg prison-camp-wip-03.jpg

EricF

Administrator
Geroak II's Ork arrived in the post today. I'll have to take a few additional photos, but wow, the brush control on display is as amazing as it looked in the first photos.

Camp progresses along. Some filler has gone on to flesh out the tunnels and I'm going to do the fence and some texture paste to tie all the rock/dirt together.

Back