Brother Meredith
Lord
My folks used to have a collection of rare breeds! 😉
It's the first 6 months of World War 2 in the Pacific.
i think some of us might use different dates.
--Dad's Army Series 6, Episode 2 'My British Buddy'A.R.P. Warden Hodges said:Now you've come over to win this little lot for us, have you? Still, better late than never.
I mean, the war's only been on for two and a half years, innit? It's an improvement on last time.
The title quotes Isoroku Yamamoto, who said "I will run wild for six months" if ordered to attack the USA. The book covers the 6 months from the attack on Pearl Harbor to the Battle of Midway.i think some of us might use different dates.
Reading this right now. It's the first 6 months of World War 2 in the Pacific. Cleaver writes in a very lively style.
The trouble is that a "world war" isn't terribly well defined, since they tend to grow out of related, but unconnected conflicts. (Are we in the middle of a third one? Probably not yet, but it's alarmingly close.) If one wishes to count the invasion of China, and I'm sometimes tempted, the war was more than four years on at that point. But it's not clear whether that's a part of the same war as the European war until one of the participants from that is fighting Japan. Japan occupied French Indochina in 1940, but that went largely unprotested in either France or, so far as I can tell, Indochina. (There's not much about it in Vietnamese war museums, and nobody in the family talks about it. If I can ever improve my Vietnamese enough I mean to research it more, but I have looked a little.)i think some of us might use different dates.
Did poor Archie actually die? I thought it was just the ostrich that was killed because he was hungry? (for the uninitiated)Archie Duke being killed
Oh, I'm not disagreement with that, but it said specifically WWII in the Pacific, which either began in 1941 or 1937. Sorry. I'm sidetracking myself. I don't think any US historian would say WWII in general began with Pearl Harbor. But the Pacific War is such a different animal. My grandfather always got bent with people suggesting it ended with the German surrender, seeing as he was busy getting shot at at that time. Similar problem. The two are certainly related, but somewhat disconnected.Generally, it's seen as becoming the Second World War in 1939, but I'm happy to include all the after math battles from WW1 as part of a war which started with Archie Duke being killed and just had highs and lows in combat until the end of the Vietnamese civil war which ended in 1977. (I know, like alot of countries, they had TONS of Civil Wars but talking about that one which was.. roughly 1955 to 1977).
But things are soo rough it's a pain. I hate it when people keep making a big Deal about the End of WW2 being when the Germans gave up... forgetting they war as a bulk kept on for some time after that until Japan gave up.. but as I said, I'm happy saying it went on to 77.
Anyway.. ^_^ sidetracking
Derailing warning ⚠️ Books, dear Manicman, get back to the books...Anyway.. ^_^ sidetracking
Aha! Witch hat.. My daughter has the first one. She read it in about twenty minutes on Christmas dayThis evening’s reading pile whilst my daughter gets to sleep…
Thought my 8 year old daughter would like it too, but she got upset about the mother getting turned to stone… 😢Aha! Witch hat.. My daughter has the first one. She read it in about twenty minutes on Christmas day![]()
Yes, it's difficult to know what to pitch at that age. Girls tend to be avid info gatherers/readers! My daughters turned 16 so a bit easier now, but was difficult. Waterstones manga section is often confused on which (age appropriate) graphic novels should be in which section. Found volumes of 'Attack on Titan' in the young person's bit before and the art is pretty 'graphic', much like the anime that came later. 😕Thought my 8 year old daughter would like it too, but she got upset about the mother getting turned to stone… 😢
If one wishes to count the invasion of China, and I'm sometimes tempted, the war was more than four years on at that point.
Derailing warning ⚠️
Merchanter's Luck.