Hob's Home for Elderly Orcs

Old Hob

Hi folks. It's been a while, so I hope you're all keeping well. I spent last year painting orcs like a fury - but they were not old or even especially 'hammer, so I haven't shared them here. Then, for no reason at all, I bought a couple of C15 orcs and coloured them in... And although I'm definitely not collecting pre-slotta orcs, I have definitely bought some more off eBay. So this is an occasional thread for orcs that I'm definitely not collecting, but have sort of rehomed.

dBfwAcx.jpg

EricF

Administrator
Those are some lovely Orcs in your not-a-collection. I like the skin tone, suits them well.

inchmurrin

Welcome to the club of people not collecting pre slotta orcs. Looking fine I also like the skin tone despite my personal approach of greenskins only.

Old Hob

Thanks chaps. I had a suspicion I wouldn't be the only one not collecting pre-slotta orcs around these parts. :lol:

Tex

Great paintjobs for some lovely minis
I love pre-slotta orcs, as well, but I really had to draw a line and give myself some limits :grin:

inchmurrin

Tex":3bwnflo5 said:
I love pre-slotta orcs, as well, but I really had to draw a line and give myself some limits :grin:

I didn't know Oldhammerers could manage to give themselves limits :grin:

Tex

inchmurrin":3d4iip1z said:
Tex":3d4iip1z said:

I didn't know Oldhammerers could manage to give themselves limits :grin:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I didn't say I'm able to observe them :grin:

symphonicpoet

I'll have to third or fourth the comment on the skin tones. It's refreshing to see something a bit different from the usual green. And those really are some interesting and characterful sculpts. (Almost spelled that skulpts. I think some 40K ork affektashuns must have snuck in.) Well done. I love it!

Old Hob

Hi folks. In the last few weeks I've been trying to get better at taking photos of my toy soldiers. After several years of using the same bit of blue cardboard, I finally bought a copy of the excellent Jon Hodgson Backdrops book. It's definitely been a gamechanger. So, having taken some snaps of my NotHammer stuff, I decided to dig out my 2nd ed. hobgoblins for some glamour shots. I've shared most of these here before. They were among the first minis I painted when I was getting back into the hobby in 2020-21. I'm still pleased with how these came out, which was in no small way due to the advice and encouragement I got on this forum. Thanks for that. I still have dozens of vintage hobs squirreled away, so I may very well return to them at some point in the future.

b1f2CF3.jpeg

Old Hob

they look very nice in their new environment.
now get painting the rest so they don't don't feel left out!
The Queue goes ever on and on...

I've got one and a half 15mm Dark Ages armies and 50+ Tolkien-inspired orcses to knock out first, but for the first time in ages I fancy daubing some elderly hobgobs. Don't hold your breath, but I can see a few more chums being added to the Darklands crew before the end of the year.

inchmurrin

Great looking hobs and I am really impressed by the backdrop. As my photography shows signs of marginal improvement I must investigate your link.

Old Hob

Great looking hobs and I am really impressed by the backdrop. As my photography shows signs of marginal improvement I must investigate your link.
I was too mean and bought the A4 version. I'm now regretting my life choices and wished I'd gone for A3 instead, so I could set the backdrop further away (A4 is great for 15mm, but the framing is a little cramped for 28mm).

inchmurrin

Thanks for the tip I'll bear it in mind

I was too mean and bought the A4 version. I'm now regretting my life choices and wished I'd gone for A3 instead, so I could set the backdrop further away (A4 is great for 15mm, but the framing is a little cramped for 28m

Your hobgoblins and Hodgson hills look great. Most terrain mats though never seem to photograph very well, IMO. Might be worth finding something else as a base, perhaps?

Big fan of your painting style & palette on these. What’s your flesh recipe, please?

Old Hob

Your hobgoblins and Hodgson hills look great. Most terrain mats though never seem to photograph very well, IMO. Might be worth finding something else as a base, perhaps?

Big fan of your painting style & palette on these. What’s your flesh recipe, please?
Thank you. I think your right about the gaming mat. For my historicals I was using a moss mat, but it looked a bit too verdant for the hobs. Making a smallish terrain piece for photos is definitely on my ever-growing to-do list...

I did these a while ago, but from memory the flesh was:
Black undercoat
Jokareo Orange base coat
Agrax wash
Thinned Jokareo orange
Thinned Jokareo orange + Kislev Flesh mix
Thinned Kislev Flesh

A bit fussy, but faces are my favourite bit to paint.

Really excellent work on those hobgoblins! As others have said the background looks great :)
I really like those preslotta orcs though, especially as I myself do not collect them ;)

Sleepysod

I really like the hobgoblins and half orcs from this period (Aly Morrison?) - really nice paint job here, and great colour choices

Old Hob

I really like the hobgoblins and half orcs from this period (Aly Morrison?) - really nice paint job here, and great colour choices
Thanks man. The majority are Aly Morrison's C36 range (mostly slottas, although there a smattering of pre-slottas). There's also a few Jes Goodwin RR15 hobgobs (including that amazing standard, which I absolutely love) and the samurai dude on the right is a Chronicle N12 hobgob by Nick Lund.
To be honest, the hobgoblin ranges were a mess - a hodgepodge of Japanese, Chinese and Eurasian Steppe influences. I still love them, though.

Back