The Evil Lead Hob Plains Drifters

Blog: The Evil Lead
Owner: Old Hob
Author: Old Hob

As mentioned in a previous post, for supposed steppe nomads the 1980s Citadel hobgoblins were sorely lacking in cavalry. The main reason, of course, is that the range wasn’t a priority for the Studio. Beyond the redesigned slotta range in ’85, the hobgoblins got a wee rocket launcher in ’87 and a temple dog rider in ’89, and that was that. Presumably if hobgoblins had been selling like hotcakes then wolf or hobhound cavalry would have been a thing, but I guess they were just too niche.

Of course, in the ‘throw all your toys down and let’s have at it’ world of early Warhammer there was always a work around. The Second Citadel Journal (Autumn 1985) contained The Dolgan Raiders scenario, in which human steppe nomads and their centaur chum attack a hobgoblin caravan. The hobgoblins hire the questionable services of some goblin wolf riders, led by one Gutrot, to act as scouts. Obviously, goblin wolf rider miniatures were readily available, so this neatly side stepped the problem of no hobgoblin cav while introducing a fun subplot. In the scenario Gutrot hates the hobgoblin commander Bagnol, so if the scenario is played as 2v2 then the Gutrot/wolf riders player gets extra victory points if Bagnol is killed!

Another workaround for hobgoblin cav I have seen employed by Oldhammerers has been to use the Chronicle N15 or Grenadier orc wolf riders as proxies. I think this works well enough alongside the N12 or Grenadier hobgoblins, as Nick Lund’s orcs and hobgoblins are all pretty hefty units, but I think it works less well alongside Aly Morrison’s slighter C36 hobs. I've also seen people use the 4th ed. Big Hat hobgoblin cav, but, of course, they're ghastly.

Chronicle and Grenadier wolf riders I originally bought to use as proxies​

I was really pleased, then, when I saw Oakbound Studio were releasing a couple of packs of hobgoblin wolf riders. The wolf riders come in packs of 3, armed with either bows or polearms. I’ve been after some shoot-and-scoot wolf riders for a while so I picked up the bows pack. Here’s 2/3 of the pack coloured in.

As these are Oakbound gobbos, the sculpts are very characterful but also more whimsical than 'spikey death bits'. Scale-wise, though, they are spot on. I think these will work great for a unit of skirmishers, but my quest for C36-compatable mass cav continues.

Continue reading over on the The Evil Lead blog

Please note that any comments you post here about this news feed article may not be seen or ready by the owner of the blog from which the article came.

Please consider visiting the blog itself and commenting there as well to give the author your feedback.

Back