Filums

What films do you recommend to give you some warhammer fantasy vibes?

Ones that work for me:

Flesh and Blood
Solomon Kane
Black Death
The Last Valley
Season of the Witch
Forbidden Kingdom
Sleepy Hollow
Countess Dracula
Witchfinder General

Last edited:

EricF

Administrator
I would have to offer up Jabberwocky.

jabbawockyfilm.jpg

But, interesting question I shall have to ponder somewhat. My mental picture of Warhammer is very dominated by Ian Miller's artwork as far as fantasy goes and translating that into film would be difficult I imagine.

Maybe you should expand your thread out to 40k vibes as well, at least old school ones. Of course there was the short films from Gamesday/Golden Demon events that some may remember playing on the arena big screens, classic old Rogue Trader fun!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

And you can even have 30 minutes of classic GW video fun...

Last edited:
Nah. Don't play 40k, not interested. That can go get it's own grimdark topic!!

The films I have listed I think work on a story level with some WFRP aesthetic to them.

The last valley for example is Germanic of the right sort of period, and whilst about the Catholic Protestant divide, works well when looked at as say Sigmar and Ulric instead.

ManicMan

I'm gonna have to skip this.. as your list includes that awful "Soloman Kane" named film which has soo little to do with the story, the fantasy or anything to do with the character created by Robert E. Howard which was used as a base for some bits in Classic Warhammer. so it's SOO far removed that to just mention it is an insult.. You might as well mention that film which was using the name which was forced on Asimov's collection of stories and which wasn't written by Harlan Ellison. Such an insult.. I remove myself from any part of it.

Surely just because a film had no resemblance to the original source material that does not make it bad?
The original Arnie Conan film was made up and not really at all what Conan from the books was like, but it was/is a great film in its own right.
Starship Troopers, nothing at all like the book, but if taken for what it was, a good film.
etc.

ManicMan

If it's meant to be based on something, it should be based on something else it has failed, thus bad. If it's inspired, that's a different matter. Red Sonja was inspired by Red Sonya so differences which go against the whole point are fine. Making an original story using Characters and Elements are fine if they keep to the spirit and point. If they miss that, they fail in there task. The Arnie films weren't based on nor meant to be based on the Books. They were inspired by the books characters and more so on the Marvel Comics version of the characters. Thus is is 'based on characters by'. As Conan, at different points in his life, went though various changes, it isn't too bad a version of the characters, just not of any book or story written by Howard.

I've not read, nor watch either what is meant to be the better Animated Starship Troopers, nor any of the American films.. just looks like CGI messes to me. Might be good but no interest. My Favorite Marvel films are ones that are often flops and seen as rubbish.. But that is because they are far more faithful to the source material then the modern stuff, even though they do changes. The Original Spider-Man movies and series are a FAR better and more faithful version then any of the post 2000 films. Though the best is the fan film based on the night Gwen Stacy died story arc... that is how to do it right..

The meant to be Asimov film was a completely unrelated film which they slapped the name and some very loose elements on.. even the people involved will confirm, which is why it goes against the core of his work.

One of the best films from books is the film 'The Last Unicorn'. It is written by the writer of the book, who was a talented scriptwriter too, Peter. S. Beagle. If you watch the film, and then read the book.. You feel you are just getting 'the bits cut out' and more indepth detail.

The Original 'Total Recall' was not based on the story 'We can remember it for you wholesale'. It was inspired by it. It's not faithful as it extends what is a 30 min story to a whole film. But it's pretty faithful to the ideas and the point of the story (Kinda). That remake (which was a remake of the film).. is.. no.. a bad remake of a film.. If a remake is soo removed, then it can easily just not use the name and would be far more expectable.

In fact, there are cases where this has been the saving grace. They removed the name to stand on it's own and has been far better for it.

Buckaroo Banzai was highly inspired by Doc Savage. If it called it self 'Doc Savage', it would be crap.. but it went with it's own name and stood on it's own feet.. It's seen as a failed flop, but it is its own thing. If the film is MEANT to be something and fails at that? then it's bad. If I drew a picture of say, A cat, but it turned out looking like a really good and faithful elephant, it would be a crap drawing of a cat and it would be bad. It would fail in what it is trying to be and trying to do.

The Solomon Kane film, if it called itself something different and wasn't passing it self of as based on the character or anything, then it would probably be a perfectly good movie. But by it's own admission, it is MEANT to be Robert E. Howards' Solomon Kane.. It completely fails at that. Maybe if they did a modern dub where they renamed him 'Ezra Clarence', (they have done bigger changes) and let it stand as a film that is purely meant to be fun entertainment and not a fun entertaining movie version of Robert E. Howards Solomon Kane character, fine.

There was a old animator (who worked on some designs for the Inspector Gadget Cartoon which was inspired by Peter Sellers as Inspector Clouseau who once said it is far easier to draw your own character then someone elses, cause if you make bad drawing of Bugs Bunny, its gonna look like a bad drawing of Bugs Bunny, Where if its your own original character, You can get away with it. or words to that effect..

Anyway... Sorry about derailing another topic a bit ^_^

I would have to offer up Jabberwocky.

View attachment 10634

But, interesting question I shall have to ponder somewhat. My mental picture of Warhammer is very dominated by Ian Miller's artwork as far as fantasy goes and translating that into film would be difficult I imagine.

Thanks for the suggestion, yeah that is visually quite grim and manky, just the ticket.

Ti Pouchon

Delighted to see Flesh and Blood on your list - it's the often overlooked little gem in the crown of verhoeven titles.

I would add:

1612 - Time of Troubles
Viy (also known as "Forbidden Empire")
Robin of Sherwood - the old ITV series
Alatriste
Kingdom of Heaven
Excalibur

I don't know why your list does not include CONAN so I presume that you don't like Sword and Sorcery-style movies. Otherwise there yould be a whole catalogue of movies added here, from the profound to the cheesy
I also think that WILLOW has a distinctive Warhammery flair to it just like the aforementiones "Last Unicorn"
Re: animation - what about "The Black Cauldron" and "Valhalla"?

Even though it is decidedly more 'historical' than 'warhammery', I've enjoyed the "Borgia"-series with Jeremy Irons as Pope Borgia for much the same reasons as any of the fillums on the list
By the bye - that thread title IS a ''Boardwalk Empire'-reference, is it not?

I love Conan, I have loads of sand and sorcery movies on DVD, but they do not seem very Wahammery to me.
(I even produced and sold a range of desert fantasy models for a few years.)

"By the bye - that thread title IS a ''Boardwalk Empire'-reference, is it not?"
Nope, sorry, just the way some people pronounce films around these parts, a strange English dialect thing.

I think Flesh and Blood is one of the most Warhammery films there is?

"Viy (also known as "Forbidden Empire")"
Interesting, here in the UK that is Forbidden Kingdom as I listed above.
That is also very Warhammery I feel.

EricF

Administrator
Excalibur & Robin of Sherwood were two I'd penciled down in my pondering. As a kid we visited one of the castles they had used as a filming location for RoS just after the shoot - which as a kid was extra cool since it was all made up to look more "intact". Excalibur is one of my favourites, the siege after Arthur has drawn the sword always feels very "Warhammer siege" to me.

I discounted Excalibur entirely. But I suppose it is really quite Bretonnian?
I was being blinkered and just thinking of The Empire.

Padre

Sleepy Hollow

and

Plunkett & Macleane

A later 'period' but to my mind, very WFRP.

Edit: For some reason I did not notice that sleepy hollow was mentioned in the opening post, so please ignore the first three words of this post.

Last edited:
Jordan Sorcery did a video on the topic not that long back

Back