Amateur Hour Brothership I

Blog: Amateur Hour
Owner: Dieselhorst
Author: iemattias

It's a very special feeling when you open up your "cool trash" drawer and realize that finally, after years of collecting, you have enough for a really cool scratchbuild.

Usually there's a key piece that I'm building around, and in this case, it was this weird sunbeam thermostat thingy that I found on the side of the street three years ago. It looked up at me and screamed: "Spaceship! Make me into a spaceship!" And it has continued to yell that at me periodically ever since.

But it needed the right pieces. The worst feeling is to embark on a build and realize a little way in that you weren't patient enough, that you just needed more pieces.

I'm pretty sure I've hit that point now, with a plugin diffuser, an old car diagnostic doohickey, the end of a knackered bicycle pump, the usual odds and ends, and, of course, the pieces that give this project it's working name: parts from Brother printer cartridges.

I dub this ship-to-be THE BROTHERSHIP.​

The bridge/observation deck is obvious. Fitting everything around it is more challenging. I envision this as a craft that can operate both in and out of atmo, so it needs a gigantic propulsion system for leaving the gravity well. The plug-in diffuser is perfect for that. The Ifixit can be a senor array-type thing to fill the gap in front.

I'm using chip board to build out the rest of the structure.

The larger printer piece provides secondary propulsion and a lower structure. A piece of a six-pack provides the structure for the rear hatch.

The severed wires will be where I mount the main cannon.

I wanted to use some eva foam to make armor plate cladding, but getting the forms right is tricky. To solve this, I settled on a method of using thin paper and a pencil to make a rubbing of the area of the ship that I wanted to clad. I could then draw over this to make a template for the eva.

Flipping the template gives the mirrored piece for the opposite side of the model.

Blue tape helps to dry fit the pieces into position and ensure a reasonable approximation of symmetry.​

Some scrap windowscreen for texture:

Caps for turrets and protrusions:

More eva foam plating makes the door panels for the rear hatch. The port is from what I believe to be a piece of a bicycle hub. Not sure though. Found that in an alley.

Wire from a dead USB cable makes handy piping around edges.

Rubber tank treads left over from a previous scratch-bash hide some of the more obvious lid textures:

And that's the main body done! A lot left to build though. I have fun ideas for landing gear, detailing on the main booster, and most excitingly, rotatable VTOL rockets. There will be a million details to work out, but I am really pumped with how this is looking so far. More to come.

Continue reading on the Amateur Hour blog

Please note that any comments you post here about this news feed article may not be seen or ready by the owner of the blog from which the article came.

Please consider visiting the blog itself and commenting there as well to give the author your feedback.

Back